Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Flat-Out Love by Jessica Park

From Goodreads.com:
   He was tall, at least six feet, with dirty blond hair that hung over his eyes. His T-shirt read Nietzsche Is My Homeboy.
   So, that was Matt. Who Julie Seagle likes. A lot. But there is also Finn. Who she flat out loves.
   Complicated? Awkward? Completely.
   But really, how was this freshly-minted Boston transplant and newbie college freshman supposed to know that she would end up living with the family of an old friend of her mother's? This was all supposed to be temporary. Julie wasn't supposed to be important to the Watkins family, or to fall in love with one of the brothers. Especially the one she's never quite met. But what does that really matter? Finn gets her, like no one ever has before.
They have connection.
   But here's the thing about love, in all its twisty, bumpy permutations - it always throws you a few curves. And no one ever escapes unscathed.

Please notice, while I found this quote in Flat-out Love it is credited to Victor Hugo in the next paragraph.

     When I first started this book I wasn't very impressed, kind of your typical young adult book. I've been on a YA binge lately, but this book stood out from the rest.
   The book description barely mentions the beefiest part of the book. There's something seriously wrong in the Watkins' house. Thirteen-year-old Celeste carries around a life-size cardboard cut out of her brother Finn, who is travelling the world, and has no friends. Julie thinks something is up, but Matt won't tell her about it and advises against asking his parents. Both parents work a lot, leaving Matt to take care of Celeste. After they see how she cares about Celeste they ask Julie to stay for the school year. In exchange, she's to pick up Celeste from school and hang out with her, allowing Matt to concentrate more on his year at MIT. When no one will tell her what is going on she seeks Finn on Facebook hoping he will shed some light on the strange happenings. So starts their relationship.
   Was the book magnificently written with beautiful language? No. Could I put it down? No way. The love story got a little sappy I will admit (I rolled my eyes a couple times) but the mystery of what the heck was going on kept me hooked. I looked forward to the progress Julie was making with Celeste, and I liked the dialogue between Julie and Matt. I plan to read the next book, Flat-Out Matt, just as soon as I can.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment