Sunday, May 25, 2014

I Am That Girl: How to speak your truth, discover your purpose and #bethatgirl by Alexis Jones



From the back of the book: 
"Does your mind go blank when someone asks you, 'What do you really want in life?' Alexis Jones has built a career listening to and inspiring girls (ages 8 to 80 years old) all around the world to figure out those questions in order to help them create the most awesome life imaginable. For the first time, Jones has compiled what she's learned into one complete guide to being That Girl, the best version of you."
"I witness a sea of daily distractions that hold us down like shackles to our feet when we should be flying. Our narrow definition of beauty requires girls to pluck, dye, brush, shave, cut, bleach, wax, diet, shop, and endlessly compare; all of which leave very little time for us to really shine. What we haven't noticed is that we are forced into a lifelong beauty contest that we will never win, and didn't ask to enter in the first place."
I don't read much self-help and I admit I was skeptical. Sophia Bush wrote the foreward, which is how I first discovered this book. Then I saw it pop up on my Goodreads feed. I decided to check it out for myself. What an empowering book! Every girl should read this.
   Alexis walks us through the steps needed to become the best version of ourselves. She tells us in nearly every chapter that we're perfect the way we are, redefining the word "perfection." She invites us to discover our passion and helps us find out exactly what that might be, then encourages us to pursue it in whatever way possible. Many women share their personal experiences with us throughout the book, helping to reinforce the concept of  'never give up,' life throws you curve balls for a reason. It's a "call to arms" for girls everywhere, challenging us to change the perception of beauty, to get out of this race we never signed up for, to be that girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment