Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Wonder by R.J. Palacio



From the book jacket:
"August (Auggie) Pullman was born with a facial deformity that prevented him from going to a mainstream school-until now. He's about to enter fifth grade at Beecher Prep, and if you've ever been the new kid, then you know how hard that can be. The thing is Auggie's just an ordinary kid, with an extraordinary face. But can he convince his new classmates that he's just like them, despite appearances?"
"Here's what I think: the only reason I'm not ordinary is that no one else sees me that way."
 Wonder has an unforgettable cast of characters. It's told mostly from Auggie's viewpoint but other characters narrate too. I liked having the inside track to how Auggie was feeling. I also loved seeing how the other characters saw Auggie. I started this book while eating breakfast, good thing it was a Saturday, I didn't leave my seat until I finished. I felt every up and every down on this funny, sad, magnificent journey with Auggie. He burrowed into my soul very early into the story, and he's still here. This is a book I expect to stay with me, that will be read again and again. It was difficult to chose just one quote from this book. It is full of beautiful snippets of wisdom, that shouldn't need to be said, but unfortunately, they do need to be said, and so I leave you with just one more quote:
"Kinder than is necessary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed."
I think this book has something to offer everyone regardless of age. I believe it's meant for a younger audience but I never let that stop me.

No comments:

Post a Comment