Monday, October 6, 2014

I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson

From the hardcover:
   Jude and her twin brother, Noah, are incredibly close. At thirteen, isolated Noah draws constantly and is falling in love with the charismatic boy next door, while daredevil Jude cliff-dives and wears red-red lipstick and does the talking for both of them.
   But three years later, at sixteen, Jude and Noah are barely speaking. Something has happened to wreck the twins in different and dramatic ways . . . until Jude meets a cocky, broken, beautiful boy, as well as someone else - an even more unpredictable new force in her life.
   The early years are Noah's story to tell. The later years are Jude's. What the twins don't realize is that they each have only half the story, and if they could just find their way back to each other, they'd have a chance to remake their world.


   This book is stunning. I read the majority of it on a partially devoted Sunday just finishing it up after work today. I could not put this book down. I knew I'd have to finish it immediately after struggling through my work day. I could only think of how this book could possibly end. A lot of the YA I've read lately have not-so-happy endings *coughthefaultinourstarscough* so I was mildly concerned about half way through, when I realized I loved both Noah and Jude. "Mildly concerned," ha! I was a worried mess.
   One of my favorite things about I'll Give You the Sun is the way Noah sees people. Bursting at the seams with light, floating, the animals inside. Sounds a little strange, but he's an artist, and it's truly amazing. I could picture each description as it would appear on canvas, a work of art. I wish I saw the world through his eyes all the time.
      I laughed, I swelled with emotion, I even had trouble breathing for a short time. I hope I'm not spoiling anything because this book needs to be read. It is such a gorgeous tale of loss, family, and being true to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment