Sunday, September 28, 2014

How to Tell Toledo from the Night Sky by Lydia Netzer

From the hardcover:
   Like a jewel shimmering in a Midwest skyline, the Toledo Institute of Astronomy is the nation's premier center of astronomical discovery and a beacon of scientific learning for astronomers far and wide. Here, dreamy cosmologist George Dermont mines the stars to prove the existence of God. Here, Irene Sparks, an unsentimental scientist, creates black holes in captivity.
   George and Irene are on a collision course with love, destiny, and fate. They have everything in common: both are ambitious, and yearning for connection. The air seems to hum when they're together. But George and Irene's attraction was not written in the stars. In fact, their mothers, friends since childhood, raised them separately to become each other's soul mates.
   When that long-secret plan triggers unintended consequences, the two astronomers must discover the truth about their destinies and unravel the mystery of what Toledo holds for them-together or, perhaps, apart.
   Lydia Netzer combines a gift for character and bighearted storytelling with a sure hand for science and a vision of a city transformed by its unique celestial position, exploring the conflicts of fate and determinism and asking how much of life is under out control and what is preordained in the heavens.


   This is my second book by Lydia Netzer. I fell in love with Shine Shine Shine a couple years ago so, when I noticed How to Tell Toledo from the Night Sky I had to pick it up. This took a little more effort to get into than Shine Shine Shine but was still brilliant. I told a co-worker, "it's strange but has so much potential, I can't give up," that was about three chapters in and I am glad I didn't quit.
   I find the idea that their mothers had to create twin souls fascinating. To make a soul mate by design, to create love using science. I think that's the main reason I liked this book so much. I mean, that isn't all this book has to offer, but that is what I was most taken with.
   It's told going back and forth between two times, visiting George and Irene's mothers as they grew up together and 'now' with George and Irene meeting. I admit I was a little lost on some of the science talk, but I got the gist of it. This book may not be as universally loved as many are, but if you like an intelligently written love story give this a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment