Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Man's Seach for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl

From the paperback:
   Psychiatrist Viktor Frankl's memoir has riveted generations of readers with its descriptions of life in Nazi death camps and its lessons for spiritual survival. Based on his own experience and the stories of his patients, Frankl argues that we cannot avoid suffering but we can choose how to cope with it, find meaning in it, and move forward. At the heart of his theory, known as logotherapy, is a conviction that the primary human drive is not pleasure but the pursuit of what we find meaningful. Man's Search for Meaning has become one of the most influential books in America; it continues to inspire us all to find significance in the very act of living.
"Forces beyond your control can take away everything you possess except one thing, your freedom to choose how you will respond to the situation. You cannot control what happens to you in life, but you can always control what you will feel and do about what happens to you."
    I found this book on Instagram while browsing through quotes and I was grabbed by the quote along with the title. I've read The Diary of Anne Frank in school, and on my own I've read a bit of Holocaust fiction. Since I also have an interest in books of spiritual nature, I knew I had to read this book.
      In the first part Frankl tells us about his experiences in Nazi camps. He does so in a detached sort of way. While the experiences are heart wrenching the manner in which he tells them is simply matter of fact. It's difficult to explain, but I was not terribly emotionally stressed reading them (which surprised me.)
   The second half was a basic description of Frankl's theory called logotherapy. It was a little technical at first but after the first few sections it started making more sense.  This is a branch of phychology that I haven't heard much about, but since reading this I want to find out more.
   I know it seems obvious, but I recommend this to people who may be looking for meaning in their life. The title sells itself. It's more than meaning in life though. There are valuable lessons about controlling what you can and trying to accept those things you cannot.

No comments:

Post a Comment