Thursday, October 30, 2014

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

From Goodreads.com:
   At the age of eighteen, Mary Shelley, while staying in the Swiss Alps with her lover Percy Shelley, Lord Byron, and others, conceived the tale of Dr. Victor Frankenstein and the monster he brings to life. The resulting book Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus, is a dark parable warning against the risks of scientific and creative endeavor, the corrupting influence of technology and progress, and the dangers of knowledge without understanding. Frankenstein was an instant bestseller on publication in 1818 and has long been regarded as a masterpiece of suspense, a classic of nineteenth-century Romanticism and Gothic horror, and the prototype of the science fiction novel. Though it has spawned countless imitations and adaptations, it remains the most powerful story of its kind.


   This year for Halloween I decided to read a classic horror novel that I've never read before. I was surprised by Frankenstein. I liked it but found myself sympathizing more with the "monster" than the human, that was unexpected. He doesn't want to be cruel, but feels he has no choice because he will never be accepted into society. He just pulled my heartstrings.
   The synopsis tells us this is a cautionary tale against technology and knowledge without knowing the effects. I think it also has a little nature vs nurture. The monster claims he only killed because without love, he could only cause fear.
   This book does not have a lot of dialogue. Dr. Frankenstein is telling a story, the story of his life. I would recommend this book as an audio book. I read it but the whole time I was thinking, this would be better to listen to. I rarely listen to books, I have only done it once or twice, but I'd audio this one if  I wanted to read it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment