Thursday, July 17, 2014

Say What You Will by Cammie McGovern

From the Hardcover:
Amy and Matthew didn't know each other, really. They weren't friends. Matthew remembered her, sure, but he remembered a lot of people from elementary school that he wasn't friends with now.
   Matthew never planned to tell Amy what he thought of her cheerful facade, but after he does, Amy realizes she needs someone like him in her life.
   As they begin to spend more time with each other, Amy learns that Matthew has his own secrets and she decides to try to help him in the same way he's helped her. And when what started out as a friendship turns into something neither of them expected, they realize that they tell each other everything-except the one thing that matters most.
"Let's don't wait forever for our lives to start. Let's begin them ourselves. Let's be fearless for once and say, we can do this."
I was browsing at the library when the font on this book spine caught my eye, then the title, not that I was looking for another book to add to my already borrowed collection. What the synopsis on the book doesn't tell you is that Amy has cerebral palsy and Matthew suffers from obsessive compulsive disorder. Cue one great love story.
   In their junior year of high school Matthew tells Amy something he doesn't mean to, that she doesn't have any friends because she's constantly in the company of aides. Amy then has this idea to hire students to be her aides during her senior year. She specifically emails Matthew that summer to ask him to apply for one of the positions.
   I was perplexed that Amy only had four aides. She was supposed have one for each day, but there are only four. I kept wondering what happened to the fifth day of the week. Sarah is Monday, Sanjay is Tuesday, Chloe is either Wednesday or Thursday, and Matthew is Friday, after a while I gave up trying to find the lost day. I decided maybe there was something I missed about Amy only going to school four days a week (I really don't think I would have missed that though.)
   Aside from that slightly distracting issue, the book was good, an unconventional love story.  Goodreads.com described it as "The Fault in Our Stars meets...Eleanor & Park." I can see Eleanor & Park with a hint of Wonder by R.J. Palacio and The Fault in Our Stars. That being said, the story is it's own. Say What You Will is definitely worth the read, I worried the whole time that it would break my heart and kept going at a quick pace to find out how it ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment