Saturday, August 9, 2014

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

From Goodreads.com:
"Days before his release from prison, Shadow's wife, Laura, dies in a mysterious car crash. Numbly, he makes his way back home. On the plane, he encounters the enigmatic Mr Wednesday, who claims to be a refugee from a distant war, a former god and the king of America.
  Together they embark on a profoundly strange journey across the heart of the USA, whilst all around them a storm of preternatural and epic proportions threatens to break.
  Scary, gripping and deeply unsettling, American Gods takes a long, hard look into the soul of America. You'll be surprised by what and who it finds there..."
"Gods die. And when they truly die they are unmourned and unremembered. Ideas are more difficult to kill than people, but they can be killed, in the end."
This is the first book by Neil Gaiman I ever read. I must admit I became an instant fan. American Gods is said to be a road trip for Shadow after three years in prison. It is that, however it is so much more. It's a tale of gods; old gods, new gods, and many forgotten gods, totems, legends and idols. I had no idea what I was getting myself into, but it had my full attention immediately. The synopsis did not prepare me for the book that followed. I was thrown into a world that I had no idea existed, where places of power are tourist attractions. I got brief glimpses of gods and idols I have never heard of.
  I'd give this book a chance if you like Stephen King and have yet to discover Neil Gaiman.

No comments:

Post a Comment