Tuesday, June 10, 2014

What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang


From Goodreads.com:
"Eva and Addie started out the same way as everyone else-two souls woven together in one body, taking turns controlling their movements as they learned how to walk, how to sing, how to dance. But as they grew, so did the worried whispers. Why aren't they settling? Why isn't one of them fading? The doctors ran tests, the neighbors shied away, and their parents begged for more time. Finally Addie was pronounced healthy and Eva was declared gone. Except, she wasn't...
   For the past three years, Eva has clung to the remnants of her life. Only Addie knows she's still there, trapped inside their body. Then one day, they discover there may be a way for Eva to move again. The risks are unimaginable-hybrids are considered a threat to society, so if they are caught, Addie and Eva will be locked away with the others. And yet...for a chance to smile, to twirl, to speak, Eva will do anything."
"If attention lingered on something with imperfection long enough, the imperfections were sure to show, however small they were."
 I don't remember how I stumbled onto this book, but I sure am glad I did. I started it as an audio-book (my first ever) at work instead of the usual music and was so absorbed I finished it reading at home the same day! It's the first in a series,The Hybrid Chronicles, that currently consists of two books. The third is due out this year. With characters you fall for, a little bit of a love story, friendships, not to mention the ever fascinating-to-me concept of two parts to a whole, I feel like this has a little bit of something for everyone. I can't wait to read the next one.
    It reminded me of The Host by Stephanie Meyer (two souls, one body how could it not?) and The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman, two of my favorite books. I'd recommend it to a fan of YA dystopian.

No comments:

Post a Comment