Friday, November 28, 2014

A Little Something Different by Sandy Hall

From the paperback:
   Lea and Gabe are in the same creative writing class. They get the same pop culture references, order the same Chinese food, and hang out in the  same places. Unfortunately, Lea is a little aloof, Gabe is shy, and it looks like they are never going to work things out.
   But something is happening between them, and everyone can see it. Their creative writing teacher pushes them together. The baristas at the local Starbucks watch their relationship like a TV series. The bus driver tells his wife about them. The waitress at the diner automatically seats them together. Even the squirrel who lives on the college green believes Lea and Gabe were meant to be together.
   Fall in love with falling in love in this irresistibly romantic, completely original novel!


   The synopsis, once again, says everything needed to be said about A Little Something Different. It's a love story told from the outside, by people observing the interactions of two college students. I was pleasantly surprised to find a Buffy the Vampire Slayer reference on page seven. I felt like I'd won the geek lottery.
   This book is undeniably cute. Told from 14 different viewpoints, this book truly is "something different." I wondered how I would like so many different narrators and was worried it wouldn't work well, but I loved it. I liked getting to know the main characters through the eyes of different personalities and relationships. I laughed out loud every time the squirrel was narrating and even the cynical Victor was fun to read.
   I simply enjoyed reading this sweet book. I'd recommend it to anyone just looking for a light read.

No comments:

Post a Comment