Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Flat-Out Celeste by Jessica Park

From Amazon.com:
   For high-school senior Celeste Watkins, every day is a brutal test of bravery. And Celeste is scared. Alienated because she's too smart, her speech affected, her social skills too far outside the norm, she seems to have no choice but to retreat into isolation.
   But college could set her free, right? If she can make it through this grueling senior year, then maybe. If she can just find that one person to throw her a lifeline, then maybe, just maybe.
   Justin Milano, a college sophomore with his own set of quirks, could be that person to pull her from a world of solitude. To rescue her - that is, if she'll let him.
   Together, they may work. Together, they may save each other. And together they may also save another couple - two people Celeste knows are absolutely, positively flat-out in love.
 
   Whether you were charmed by Celeste in Flat-Out Love or are meeting her for the first time, this book is a joyous celebration of differences, about battling private wars that rage in our heads and in our hearts, and - very much so - this is a story about first love.


   I read Flat-Out Love a couple months ago and liked it. It was a little different than I was expecting and I love surprises. I read Flat-Out Matt almost immediately after and was somewhat disappointed (it was a good book, I'm just not a huge fan of "the other side of the story" books,) this is why I put off Flat-Out Celeste. Don't make the same mistake I did. I freaking loved this book and marathon read it, staying up too late trying to finish it, without moving from my spot. It was so hard to pick a quote to use for this recommendation, one that didn't give away too much. There are so many better than the one I chose, if you could only see all my highlights.
   I like the way that Celeste's speech is "affected," the most obvious thing being, she does not use many contractions. I can't explain why I am so attracted to this, but I am. I adored the honest conversations between Celeste and Justin about every concern Celeste had. I need books that make me snicker out loud while reading, mission accomplished Jessica Park.
   But mostly I was crazy for their acceptance. Everybody feels (to some extent) the insecurities faced in this story. I think it's important for authors to write about topics similar to this, many kids feel alone in these feelings and they are not. And they should be told as often and in as many ways as possible. I wish that teens will find this book, and others like it, while still growing into who they are.
   Flat-Out Celeste along with Flat-Out Love are books that I would recommend to the multitude of young adults looking for the next book to read, and for the adult who enjoys the YA romance genre. Fans of The Perks of Being a Wallflower might also enjoy this astounding book.

No comments:

Post a Comment